Re: the problem with include and import

>From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
>To: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
>Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:17:40 GMT
>
>Why do you think the problem of scope for variable names is any
>different from the scope of (say) named templates.

I don't, however it was only the last couple messages in which I mentioned
anything about templates (I had been focusing too much on variables).

>The whole point of the import mechanism is that one can import an
>existing stylesheet and then over-ride existing named constructs
>(templates, variables, ..) so the "problem" you describe isn't
>really a problem it is the main point if xsl:import.

The "whole point"?  I think there are other reasons to import a stylesheet
than just to override locally-defined named templates and variables (such as
overriding matches, if I'm not mistaken).  Anyhow, what I was proposing was
an *option* to supply a namespace for the imported templates.  Maybe it
makes more sense on "include".

Maybe it's not the primary goal of the WG, but what I really want is a
language that will scale.  Foremost among the issues I've encountered that
mitigate scalability of systems is a lack of modularity.  As it exists, XSLT
allows modular design and implementation, however this seems strongly
dependent on conventions used to implement *both* sides of an interface
between stylesheet modules.  What I'd like to see are enhancements that
protect the user, by default, where it doesn't affect the flexibility of the
language, as well as features which allow the user to better protect
h(er|im)self from unsafe practices used in external modules.

Matt Gruenke