Re: basic question about xpath support of xml schema

> I don't think we can cope with the complexity of defining
>  bindings to other schema languages;

I agree, but I think that XSLT/Xpath could make explicit acknowledgement
that an input tree conforming to the data model might have come by some
means other than validating against a W3C Schema. So I don't think that
there has to be a binding to other schema languages, but conversely
there should not be any function that assumes that given a typed value
you can find a W3C Schema component that specifies that type. How the
input tree came into being can be out of scope for XSLT.

Probably you'll need to be able to type newly created result trees,
there it is more reasonable that since it's a w3c spec, w3c schema
will be more closely tied in, but if it could be avoided even there
that would be good. (That is XSLT could reference  any kind of schema
loanguage that would augment the tree with type information, the
supported languages could be implementation specific, including being
empty)

David