position() returning incorrect results

hi!

i discovered something weird in xsl yesterday and i can't work out why it
happens.....

i just had an <xsl:apply-templates> to get the stylesheet to work on an html
like file, which just had lots of <p> tags for paragraphs in it.
when i do the <xsl:template match="p"> and then try to print the position()
it all goes wrong and seems to count up in twos.
what confuses me more is that if i have a seperate template for
<xsl:template match="p[1]"> it will correctly pick out the first paragraph and report
it's position() as being 1.

is there some restriction on position(), i can't see that both my xsl
processors are wrong so it must be me :)

thanks.
jw.

http://www.gmx.net