Re: XML to FrameMaker MIF via XSLT

Bertrand,

Yes, that would be very useful, especially if you could also go in the other
direction: convert regular MIF into an XML version of it. That would help
you build your stylesheets to go from XML to MIF by providing constructs
from sample MIF files.

There is another possibility that I wonder if anyone has explored. In
Michael Kay's XSLT Second Edition, there is a section called *Converting
GEDCOM Files to XML* starting on page 676. The following could apply to MIF
as well as GEDCOM.

<MichaelKay>
The obvious way to translate GEDCOM to XML is to write a program that takes
a GEDCOM file as input and produces an XML as output. However, there's a
smarter way: why not write a GEDCOM parser which looks just like a
SAX-compliant XML parser, so that any program that can handle SAX directly
can read GEDCOM directly, just by switching parsers?
</MichaelKay>

Writing a MIF parser is beyond my current abilities, but if anyone else is
doing work in this area, I would be interested in finding out. Thanks.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585 659-8267
rick@frameexpert.com