RE: evaluate() function in XPath 2.0 (Was: Re: Lookup (?))

>> I might mention that the XSL WG has decided against including the
>> evaluate() function in the core function library for XSLT 2.0.
>
>You say that the evaluate() function isn't going to be included in the

>*core* function library, but is it likely to be included as an
>optional part of XSLT? Even if not all processors implemented it, we'd

>still benefit from a standard definition for those that did.

Well said! However, I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. Would
an 'evaluate' function have different capabilities depending on how it
was implemented? Or would each implementation have the same feature-set?
What I am driving at is that it is possible that by standardizing the
evaluate function, creativity and innovation may be stifled; however,
if they will all do pretty much the same thing, just in a different way
and with different syntax, then I'm all for standardizing it.

Regards,

Curtis.