Re: <br/> in FO?

At 07:12 AM 2/27/2002, Eliot wrote:
>As Ken Holman has convinced me, the list and table structures in FO are
>there to be used to get formatting effects, not to reflect the semantics
>of the data you're formatting, so use away if it's the easiest way to
>get what you need.

I couldn't agree more. If we start interpolating meanings from other
contexts into what amount to technical terms in FO ... such as "list" or
"table" ... well, that way lies madness. The whole advantage of the layered
approach (tagging in source reflects its semantics, tagging in FO reflects
FO's semantics) is that the semantic layers don't need to infect each
other. It goes both ways.

I'm not even sure within the context of an application-bound XML tag set
like FO, the notion of "tag abuse" is even applicable. If its behavior
conforms to the spec (which is up to the formatter) and it works, who's to
say it's "wrong"?

Regards,
Wendell