XML->XSL-> FO->PDF whitespace problems

Hi,

I've spent the last few hours searching the archives of this list and a
few others and can't find what I'm looking for.

I am using FOP 0.20.3, Xalan 2.2 to do XML->PDF transforms.  I have an
element that is preformatted legacy text.  It's got tabs and spaces and
linefeed/carriage returns.    I want to output this in the PDF in the
same format.

Here's a sample:

	NAME
	ADDRESS
	CITY, STATE, ZIP
		BEGIN PARAGRAPH

		BEGIN SECOND PARAGRAPH
			BEGIN SUBPARAGRAPH

Now the reason I'm posting to this list is that I can take a xsl:fo file
and transform the text if I copy and paste it into the FO document and
then run FOP on it.  The PDF that is generated is formatted perfectly.
But when I do the transform to FO dynamically with XSL, it removes all
the carriage returns/line feeds.

Here's the XSL that I'm using for the element:

<xsl:template match="LegacyTextData">
       <fo:block font-size="9pt"
                 font-family="Courier"
                 line-height="12pt"
                 text-align="left"
                 white-space-collapse="false">
			<xsl:text>       </xsl:text><xsl:value-of select="." />
	</fo:block>
</xsl:template>

I can't use linefeed-treatment property since FOP doesn't support it.
but the real  issue I'm having trouble with is that it appears that
Xalan is stripping out the linefeeds which I thought the XSLT processor
isn't supposed to do.

I have also tried using xml:space="preserve" in the LegacyTextData
element which did nothing, I also added the disable-output-
escaping="yes" to the <xsl:value-of /> statement.

any tips on what's going on would be appreciated.