Re: JavaScript access to <xsl:script> results

Hi Brian,

> Thanks... if I couldn't do it my way (and apparently I can't), I was
> going to do the little rewrite using the DOM and calculate the
> values directly from the XML data.
>
> If I do this, however, what the heck do I need XSL for?
> Seems more trouble than it's worth...

WD-XSL (which is what you're using) is always more trouble than it's
worth! XSLT is more trouble than it's worth if all you're using XSLT
for is a wrapper around JavaScript functions.

What XSLT is good at is transforming XML into another text-based
format, especially a different markup language. If you were creating
your pie charts in SVG, for example, then XSLT would be a good tool
for the job.

I was going to say "perfect" but unfortunately XPath doesn't have much
in the way of support for trigonometric functions, which you need in
order to create pie charts in SVG - implementing trigonometric
extension functions is a good use for JavaScript within XSLT (see
http://www.exslt.org/math/).

Cheers,

Jeni

---