Re: XML apparently cannot be used for general text markup: whitespace gripe

At 16:06 19/03/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>  I've noticed a lot of xml-derived web pages out there have screwed up
>whitespace (words crammed together or an incorrect space before ending
>punctuation).
>
>  My conclusion is that blocks straight text (such as paragraphs) cannot be
>further marked up with XML without screwing up spacing.

They can. XML has a rule : multiple adjacent whitespaces or linefeeds are
non-significant. However, you can change this behavior, by adding the
'xml:space' attribute on a node with the 'preserve' value, in the DTD, like
this :
<!ATTLIST listing xml:space (default|preserve) 'preserve'>
This will change the XML rule, and all whitespaces as well as linefeeds
will be significants.

Hope this help.

--
Paul TERRAY - Documents Management Systems Engineer
email : terray@4dconcept.fr