RE: How to filter characters from a string?

Write a translate that removes all the characters that are allowed in
base64. The result of this translate is a string containing all the
characters that aren't allowed, i.e. the ones you want to remove. Use this
as the second parameter for another translate():

translate($x, translate($x, 'ABCDE...abcde...12345...', ''), '')

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com