Re: after use of document(): selecting parts of the obtained node-set

Ralph,

You're almost there; you only have to fix a couple of little errors:

At 06:04 PM 4/11/2002, you wrote:
>I use the document function to load a document from within a stylesheet,
>and store the resulting nodeset in a variable:
>
><xsl:variable name="itn" select="document(itn.xml)" />

This should be select="document('itn.xml')". As it stands it is taking the
value of the <itn.xml> element child of the context node as its argument.
Since you have none, it comes back empty.

>Now I'd like to access certain parts of this nodeset, like this:
>
><xsl:template>

>         <xsl:apply-templates select="$itn/logo" />

></xsl:template>

The select="$itn/logo" looks good *except* your node set has a root node
above the <itn> element, so there is no such node (no <logo> child of the
root node). select="$itn/itn/logo" will work (or just set your variable to
document('itn.xml')/itn to begin with.

>and for the sub-nodeset $itn/logo I have the following template:
>
><xsl:template match="itn/logo">
>         extract data
></xsl>

This will work fine.

>Unfortunately, whenever I try this combination, the result of my
><xsl:apply-templates select="$itn/logo"> is empty. The same is true when I
>do a select like <xsl:apply-templates select="$itn//logo">.

$itn//logo will work, though be less efficient than $itn/itn/log or
$itn/*/logo.

>Maybe I haven't understood the functionality of document() or how to
>access parts of a node set that is returned by document()? Can someone
>help me, please?

No, you get it, you just have some syntax buglets.

Cheers,
Wendell