mysterious  character inserted into coverted document

I am running an XSLT stylesheet through saxon to convert XHTML to WML.
Everything is going well (thanks to all of you) but I keep getting these
mysterious  characters inserted into my document.  It appears to happen
most commonly before and after anchor tags.  Has anybody seen this
before?  Know what might be causing it?

Jacob