RE: DTD

XSLT doesn't generate a DTD for the result tree. It would serve no useful
purpose.

When you do a transformation, you typically have in mind the structure of
the XML you want to generate. If you want to validate that the result
document actually conforms to this structure, you can add a DOCTYPE
declaration to the output file using <xsl:output>. The responsibility of
producing output that is actually valid according to the target DTD falls
entirely on the stylesheet author.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com