Processing formatted XML?

Can anybody give me any points as to how to process formatted, for the
sake of readability, and generate readable ascii Text?

Specifically I want to know what the stylesheet should do maintain
format but at the same time remove leading and trailing spaces.

I have two rules

<xsl:template match="notes">
<xsl:call-template name="separated-list">
	<xsl:with-param name="nodes" select="note"/>
	<xsl:with-param name="separator">
	</xsl:with-param>
</xsl:call-template>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="separated-list">
	<xsl:param name="nodes"/>
	<xsl:param name="separator"/>
	<xsl:for-each select="$nodes">
		<xsl:copy-of select="."/>
		<xsl:if test="position() != last()">
			<xsl:copy-of select="$separator"/>
		</xsl:if>
	</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

The source XML looks like this ie. There are line breaks in the original
source. And ideally I want to capture those line breaks when generating
the output but I do not want to capture all the leading white spaces
that effectively represent formatting ie. Indentation to keep the XML
readable.

So as the stylesheet writer? Is it my obligation to strip away those
leading spaces? Ie. All spaces before Please, green, This, with, I,
require.

<notes>
			<note>
				Please note that I am a British and
Australian citizen who is a
                        green card holder as of 12th May, 1999.
			</note>
			<note>
				Also, email is my preferred method of
correspondence.
			</note>
			<note>
				This resume is stored in XML and
converted to HTML via XSLT
                        with the Michael Kay's Saxon XSL Processor.
			</note>
			<note>
				I am prepared to relocate for the right
position and I do not necessarily