Re: Extending xsltproc?

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 11:56:33PM -0400, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

>     D> What makes you believe "it's just a proofing tool" ?
>
> Because that is how it is described on its website.  As you also

  Oooops .... where ?

> illustrate with your next statement, the entire set of documentation
> never really talks about xsltproc, it talks exclusively about inline
> C use of the libxslt library functions ...

  Okay, then you have a point I need to fix this !

>     D> What about RTFM ? http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/extensions.html
>
> Because this page you cite describes how to extend inline C invocations
> of the libxslt, not how to extend the xsltproc?  If it does explain how
> to extend the xsltproc program, it's eluding me.

  Extending a C based binary in a portable fashion is just hell,
have you looked at the python wrappers for libxml2/libxslt. There is
an (nearly complete) rewrite of xsltproc in python called pyxsltproc.py
(in /usr/share/doc/libxslt-python-... if you installed libxslt-python
on a red Hat system), as well as a couple of examples on how to extend
the engine with Python written functions, that could be one solution.

> The best I can come
> up with is "take the xsltproc source, if you can find it, and use
> these methods to extend it, then recompile a new customized version
> of the xsltproc binary"

 Yes, if you really want to stick to C, then yes the best is to start from
the xsltproc code and extend it with your own set of function following
the guidelines of extensions.html .

 How were you expecting initialy to extend xsltproc, if not by gluing
in C functions? honnestly I wonder about this, there is something
which escapes me ...

Daniel