xpath problem

hi,
prehaps is the way i wrote the xpath, but i was wondering why will it not
work when i tried to use the wildcard(*) in this particular predicate:
 parent[child/grandchild=*]

but it works in this predicate
parent[child=*]

yes i know they are looking for different element but is there a particular
reason why will it not work in the 1st case, but work in the latter one?
any suggestion will help greatly.

my second question is about using parameter containing white spaces, is
there a way to set a parameter contain whitespaces in the command line? in
xalan if i use the following command :
....... -param param1 'hello world'
it tends to ignore the world part of the string, giving me the following
message:

XSLException Type is: XPathParserException
Message is: misquoted literal... expected single quote!
pattern = ''hello'
Remaining tokens: () (Unknown URI, line -1, column -1)

doesn't work with double quote either.

many thanks
Regards
Kit