passing intermediate result while recursively building nodeset

I have question which is a variation of a previous question I had ... I'd like to recursively build up a nodeset, and I'd like to pass the intermediate result on with each recursive call.

For example, if the template is passed the nodeset:
    <a i=1/><a i=2/>
and it creates the node:
    <a i=3/>
then I'd like to the template to recursively call itself passing the nodeset:

Is this possible/reasonable/efficient?

I was looking at the union operator, but it appears that there is no guarantee about the order of the elements in the resulting set and I would like to keep them ordered.  If 1.1 can't handle this, will it be something that 2.0 will be able to do?

Thanks,

:Paul

p.s., I do want to say that this is a great mailing list!  The number of thoughtful, helpful responses to questions is amazing.  As a newbie to XSLT this list as been a great help ... and I'm not just saying this so that someone might answer my current question :-)