RE: (No Subject)

> Does anyone have a sense of when XSLT/XPath 2.0 will reach
> recommended status?  I'm trying to gauge how far out on the
> limb I'll be, if I start using 2.0 ... which I guess also
> means using Saxon 7.1, since (as far as I know) that's the
> only implementation of some of the 2.0 features out there.

It's very hard to predict these things. It all depends on how many people
raise objections when you try to publish at Last Call stage. As far as
getting to Last Call is concerned, XSLT 2.0 is closer than XPath 2.0 and
XPath 2.0 is intimately tied up with XQuery 1.0 which still has some thorny
issues (and a large number of unthorny ones) to resolved. Don't hold your
breath.

As far as using Saxon 7.x is concerned, use it for one-off transformations
and for learning/experimenting, but not for writing stylesheets that are
likely to be in use for any length of time.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com