Re: One texdocument in and several xmldocuments out?

Hi,

Zack Brown wrote:

>On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 01:28:51PM +0200, Tove Nilstun wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I am a total beginner when it comes to XML, but in order to start working
>>with it, there are two things I need to sort out.
>>
>>I have a user guide (written in MS Word) with both text and pictures. I
>>would like to 1. convert this document to several xml documents, one per
>>headline and 2. create an additional xml file containing an index of the
>>files created in step one.
>>
>>Is this possible?
>>

>Absolutely. Just create one XSLT file for each output file you desire.
>Then run the XML through your parser once for each XSLT file you've
>created

You do not need an XSLT file for each page.

First you have to get the MSWord doc into XML. THere are a few products
out there that convert Word to docbook or some other XML. A neat trick
we found when building our MSIE-based editor was that you could paste a
MSWord doc into an element that has contentEditable="true". IE converts
this to HTML. We use JS to convert it to XML on the client, but you
could use Tidy to get well-formed HTML (XML). Then hopefully there are
clean separations to indicate where a new page should start.
Apply-templates (loop) on each page division and (you can) use extension
functions built into Saxon or Xalan to create multiple output documents
from one source.

best,
-Rob