RE: RE: Saxon's handling of line breaks

> However, I think he spoke a little hastily in each of these
> two sentences:
>
> > The XSLT specification doesn't give the
> > processor license to do anything else.
>
> No, the XSLT specification doesn't forbid outputting CR, LF,
> or CRLF; any of
> these is fine, because they will all be interpreted the same by an XML
> parser.

We were talking about <xsl:output method="text"/>. The spec says that this
outputs the string-value of every text node in the result tree without any
escaping. I don't see any licence there to translate LF to CRLF.

> > If you want to output CRLF, you must do it
> > explicitly, by
> > writing <xsl:text>
> > </xsl:text>.

The character references & # x d ; & # x a; got lost in transit.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com