Re: question about javascript and XSL

[Stuart Celarier]

> Well, no, IE6 will not be using MSXML 4.0 as claimed below. It will use
> the MSXML 3.0 that it ships with, or perhaps MSXML 2.6 or 2.0 if you
> configure it that way (please don't)

I've read a number of times that IE6 ships with msxml4.  Is that not right?

> MSXML 4.0 removed the version-independent CLSIDs and ProgIDs from MSXML,
> so there is no concept of installing MSXML 4.0 in replace mode (as with
> previous releases)

Right.

> and MSXML 4.0's XSLT process won't be used as the
> default processor in Internet Explorer (at least until a version of IE
> is released that is based on MSXML 4.0 without support for 3.0 - not
> likely in the near future).

I installed msxml4 a while ago, so I couldn't check what my IE6 install came
with.

> MSXML 3.0 supports both WD-xsl and XSLT 1.0, distinguished by the
> namespace on the XSLT elements. MSXML 4.0 has no support for WD-xsl.
> More details in my article on this topic:
> http://www.perfectxml.com/articles/xml/XSLTInMSXML.asp.

I said it wouldn't matter because of the code he started with, which
wouldn't work even if he used a working xslt namespace.  I figured that once
he got that fixed up, the namespace change would be minor in the scheme of
things.  He needed to get the concept straight first, which he seems to have
done.

> I've made similar mistakes myself. It's all pretty confusing. Some would
> say unnecessarily so.

Yes...

Tom P