character encoding problem/question

<me = digester = appreciate direct reply = thanks>

Ok, I am still trying to get my head wrapped around
character encoding. I am still not sure of 1) how to
control it and 2) which type I really need.

I am creating xml docs out of MS Word using YAWC, and
for my single quotes, it is generating &#8217; (that
is & # 8217 ; for those with email programs that
display HTML). I then convert the xml doc I get into
another xml doc, which I then convert into XHTML. That
is all fine and dandy (which has been no small task!).

The problem comes when I try to view the resulting
XHTML in a browser. The encoding being used by Word
for my single quotes is showing up as "’," which is
incorrect.

So, I guess my question is 2 fold.
1) Why is this happening and;
2) How can I fix it?

I assume that because I cannot mess with the encoding
being used by Word and YAWC, that I will have to fix
it during the XSLT conversions? I am hoping that it
does not, as I picture myself coding transformations
for every single possible character encoding that
could be used in a Word doc...

Thanks,

--Nate