Re: char replacement

You can use the str-map() function from FXSL to replace any occurence
of a character with a given string.

See also the article "Two-stage recursive algorithms in XSLT" by
Slawomir Tyszko and Dimitre Novatchev at:

http://www.topxml.com/xsl/articles/recurse/default.asp

It describes a combination of a divide and conquer (DVC) and straight
recursion over lists as the optimal when used on large input with XSLT
processors, which do not implement tail recursion efficiently.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.