encoding question/problem

(I apologize if this is a re-post. I SWEAR I posted
this to the list yesterday, but it is not in any of
the digests! I am a digester and would appreciate a
direct reply - thanks.)

I am turning Word docs into XML via a Word plug-in
called YAWC. Amazingly enough, I have this piece
working fairly well. However, whatever single quotes
that are in the Word docs are being turned into
’ (that's & # 8217; for all of you who run
HTML-enabled email software).

I then run the intermediate XML doc thru another XSLT
to get a final XHTML doc. When I view this doc in
Notepad, I see single quotes. When I view it in an
HTML editor (Homesite) OR in the browser I see "’."

So, I have two questions:
1) I assume the difference in display is because of
the encoding difference between Notepad, Homesite and
the browser?
2) How can I change the encoding so that I have the
correct encoding and output in the browser? Will this
have to be done in YAWC/Word?

Thanks all,

--Nate