From: owner-xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com]On Behalf Of G. Ken Holman
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 11:07 AM
To: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Generic Lookup (Element Mapping)

At 2002-05-08 08:46 -0500, Faroukh Fekravar wrote:
>The reason that I did not consider more than stylesheet is that I will have
>more than one mapping file (most likely 3) and am not sure how complicated
>will the whole thing with that and if it's at all possible.

Sounds like the easiest is possibly to create a separate transform for each
mapping and then run the results successively through each.

>Having said that
>I did not know that it has an impact on the performance.

Large files are generally not great for XSLT for any transform because of
the need to have the entire source tree in memory.  But, for your
particular case of synthesizing stylesheets based on mapping files and then
executing the synthesized stylesheets, I think XSLT will give you what you
need.

>My concern at this moment is whether XSLT is a proper approach to solve the
>problem and if yes which patterns/techniques can be used to achieve that.

Hopefully the example I wrote for you gives you an appropriate approach, as
it illustrates all the steps you would need to go through.

>I try to explain my second mapping file to see whether the technique
>proposed by you can handle that one too.

You will need to consider the kind of stylesheet you need and then write a
stylesheet to accomplish that.  That was how I approached your first
issue.  Don't jump in trying to write the synthesizing stylesheet until you
know exactly what you need in your synthesized stylesheet.  Write the end
result you need by hand, and then write the stylesheet to create that from
your mapping file.

>My second mapping file defines the inter relationships of the traget
>elements.
>That looks like:

Good luck with your stylesheet writing ... I think you have the direction
in hand now to proceed on your own.

.................... Ken

--
Upcoming: 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSLFO: June 17-21, 2002
-       : 3-days XML Information Modeling: July 31-August 2, 2002

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-07-1               Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books(electronic, printed),
articles, training(instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
Next public training:               2002-05-06,07,09,10,13,15,20,
-                    06-04,07,10,11,13,14,17,20,07-31,08-05,27,30