Re: encoding question/problem

Thank you David,

After posting this for the second time (sorry), I
checked around and saw that YAWC was outputting the
intermediate XML doc in UTF-8. I have changed it to
use iso-8859-1 and everything is working well now.

I would still appreciate some links to a few sites
that explain encoding well so that I can try to fully
grok it.

--Nate

--- David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote:

> > (I apologize if this is a re-post.
>
> It was,
>
> and so is this:
>
> Date: 8 May 2002 17:23:06 +0100
> From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
> To: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
> Subject: Re: [xsl] character encoding
> problem/question
>

> > I am creating xml docs out of MS Word using YAWC,
> and
> > for my single quotes, it is generating ’ (
>
> which is the right thing.
>
> > I then convert the xml doc I get into
> > another xml doc, which I then convert into XHTML.
>
> In the last transform, assuming that you are using
> <xsl:output method="html"
> which is the default method if the top level element
> is <html>
> then many XSLT systems will output this as &rsquo;
> and your problems
> probably go away, but your system appears to  be
> outputting as
> utf08 (I didn't check the three byte sequence you
> quoted was the correct
> utf8 for this character but chances are it is.)
>
> If the HTML document is in utf8 and says it is in
> utf8 (by having a
> charset specified in the HTML, something XSLT should
> add automatically)
> then modern browsers should display it correctly.
>
> If the automatic detection of encoding has failed
> you can push the
> browser by hand (view/encoding menu in IE for
> example).
>
> Alternatively you can output in some other encoding
> eg
> <xsl:output type="html" encoding="iso-8859-1"/>
> will output in latin-1 which means the system can
> not output this
> character as character data so will use ’ or
> &rsquo; or ’
> which mightalso keep your browser happy.
>
> David

> This message has been checked for all known viruses
> by Star Internet
> delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning
> Service. For further
> information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp
> or alternatively call
> Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning
Service.