Re: passing intermediate result while recursively building nodeset

Hi Paul,

> Some of the values for this may be determined randomly -- for
> example, POINT's attribute's "x" and "y" -- and when creating a
> subsequent "x" element I may need to take a look at those values or
> I may need to look at the children of "EFFECTS" (or at both of them
> in combination) ... it's all very dynamic. I'm really not too
> concerned about the expressions that I'll need to access the
> particular child elements and/or attributes (I can probably figure
> that out when the time comes). I'm more concerned with just being
> able to access any of the previously created "x" elements. Did this
> help at all? Or did just confuse things further?

Hmm... to be honest, I'm not sure that XSLT is the tool for this
particular job. Perhaps you can make several passes over the list of
tokens, once to fix the values of x and y for some of them and not for
others, then pass over again to fix the values of others? But I'm not
sure you'd get any better performance from that than you would from
the kind of recursive solution that Mike suggested previously. If it's
that dynamic, then you should probably be using a procedural language,
which is based on doing dynamic kinds of things, rather than a
declarative language, which is based on doing predictable kinds of
things.

BTW, don't worry about David's "mind reading" comment; he's just
trying to be funny.

Cheers,

Jeni

---