java methods vs XSL templates

Dear all,
I have requirement for functionalities like date format conversion
ie from YYYYMMDD to DD:MM:YY..
now i can write a java method that does this or i can write a xsl template
that will do this.I can then store it in an utility XSL file and keep
calling that template through xsl:call-templates , and pass the date as
parameter and store the return value in a variable.

i however think that writing a java method is a  more elegant way of doing
this ,as java code is precomplied and would take less processing time.

please advice me in this regard.. which one would be better to do.
thanks a lot