Re: java methods vs XSL templates

Laura,

At 11:17 AM 5/10/2002, you wrote:
>I have requirement for functionalities like date format conversion
>ie from YYYYMMDD to DD:MM:YY..
>now i can write a java method that does this or i can write a xsl template
>that will do this.I can then store it in an utility XSL file and keep
>calling that template through xsl:call-templates , and pass the date as
>parameter and store the return value in a variable.
>
>i however think that writing a java method is a  more elegant way of doing
>this ,as java code is precomplied and would take less processing time.

The generic consultant's answer: "it depends".

The Java extension function is faster, makes for cleaner XSLT code, and is
(arguably) more elegant.

The XSLT solution is more portable.

Accordingly, consider where and how this will be running, whether
performance requirements have an impact, how and by whom it will be
maintained, etc.

It's like the choice between a Jaguar and a 4WD Jeep. It depends on how the
roads are where you're going and what the style is to which you would like
to become accustomed.

Cheers,
Wendell