Tokenizing nodes instead of strings

a.) Can the Saxon or Xalan function "tokenize" be used to break up
something larger than a string? Basically, can it split a *Node* in
two, as opposed to a string, like maybe around a linebreak character.

b) If "tokenize" can be used in this way, can you use Xpath to find
and process the new pieces of the old node in separate ways.

(In my stylesheet which is heavily push-oriented, I am trying to get
XSL to recognize the difference between the the first paragraph and
any subsequent paragraphs within a Cell element, processing each
paragraph separately and in a different way from the first paragraph.
Each Cell element is actually a collection of separate strings of
Text elements and inline style elements--and so is each paragraph for
that matter. I need some way to "Tokenize" the Uber-element Cell into
2 smaller "Cells" and then select them based on whether they are in
the first position or not--and I am just not sure how to do it. Am I
missing something obvious? Any help would be greatly appreciated.)
--
Thanks,

gregm