Re: Finding the maximum depth from a node

Dave,

This is less sophisticated, graceful and powerful than Dimitre's solution,
but perhaps requires less sophistication, grace and power to maintain (so a
hacker may prefer it):

<xsl:template name="deepest">
   <xsl:for-each select="//folder"> <!-- sorry everyone! -->
      <xsl:sort select="count(ancestor-or-self::*)" order="descending"/>
      <xsl:if test="position()=1">
        <xsl:value-of select="count(ancestor-or-self::*)"/>
      </xsl:if>
   </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

It uses the trick of sorting all the nodes in the document by how deep they
are, and then throwing away all but the first, reporting its depth.

Brutal, inefficient, and poor to scale, but it should work. (Nor does it
tell you which nodes are deepest, as Dimitre's function does.)

Cheers,
Wendell