newbie question

I'm sure this will be a "no brainer" for those that have been using XSLT for
more than an hour or so - here goes ...

I have the following XML

=============

<proof aaa="111" bbb="222" ccc="333">
</proof>

=============

I assume that if I use xsl:element and xsl:attribute I can output the tag
and its attributes. I have tried copy-of but that copies the whole tag,
attributes and its contents but, it seems I can't do anything to the tags
that are contained within "proof".

If my assumption is correct about xsl:element / attribute how can I
reproduce an arbitrary set of attributes?

Regards
Mark Hutchinson, AFX Ltd
49 The Ridgeway
Amersham, Bucks