Re: XSLT/XPath 2.0 (was "Identifying two tags...")

> I'd also add to Jeni's note that if you (or anyone else) are in favor of a
> conformance level for XSLT 2.0 that does not require XML Schema validation,
>   we would like to hear about it, including any specific requirements for
> what such a conformance level would entail. You may have a better chance
> of success if you put your hopes in a conformance level, rather than
> trying to fight the inclusion of XML Schemas altogether.

Evan, i don't think conformance levels really address the main problem
(although they might possibly be useful). A schema-free conformance
level would just allow an implementation that didn't support schema to
advertise itself as an Xpath2 implementation. That's nice for the
authors of the implementation to be able to say that, but it doesn't
help authors of stylesheets write interoperable code unless it is
possible to _force_ the behaviour of an implementation to a certain
"level" even if it does support schema. In fact especially if an
implementation supports schema interoperability is going to be hard to
achieve unless the stylesheet has some way of controlling which schema
is applied, rather than leaving it up to the schema processor which by
default can basically apply any schema it likes to any document, if it
so chooses.

So what is needed is not conformance levels by which to grade
implementations but "processing modes" by which to control
schema use (or more often useful, non-use).

David