Re: XSLT performance under Linux

> I would recommend working with the xsltproc engine. It's C++ based,
supports
> a healthy subset of the Saxon parser, and is fast. I had something of a
> jury-rigged system where I was calling saxon as a jar from the command
line
> (invoked from an `` expression in perl) and my system was crawling despite
> being on a top of the line computer. I replaced it with xsltproc, and it
was
> a couple of orders of magnitude faster. It should be in most recent Linux
> distros, though it's also up on Source Forge.
>
> -- Kurt Cagle

Cool, just a couple of questions before I start fiddling around with a new
parser :)

1. Is there any performance comparision between it and other parsers,
roughly?

2. What's a healthy "subset", what doesn't it support? I must have support
for almost the full XSLT spec
+ that it needs to be able to handle iso-8859-1 properly for output encoding
and params passed to it. Sablotron gave me some angst in this department.

3. Finally we're doing the site in PHP, is that an issue when using this
parser. Sorry for the stupid questions, as I said I'm a bit out of my normal
windows defined world :) God what I wouldn't give for .Net style output
caching in this project. :)

Looked at the documentation but couldnt find anything about caching compiled
stylesheets but maybe this is a feature not supported by any parsers running
on Linux? Maybe the parser is fast enough without it, I'm just guessing
that's one of the features that would increase performance the most

best regards
---
Mattias Konradsson