xslt version of Microsoft's Defaultss.xsl

There was a thread a while back on ie5.*+ defaults.xsl
(link to
thread:http://sources.redhat.com/ml/xsl-list/2002-02/msg00831.html)
Andrew Welch came up with an xslt version and we fixed the tree to load
collapsed, so anyhow on the way to work this morning I started thinking,
I could have a form with one radio button, for either
collapsed/non-collapsed, click on that reload the page and change
collapse state of tree. But how to do this? Two possibilities
	1. use jscript/dhtml and toggle the value of the
collapse/expanded onload dependant on a querystring(would have to write
my own querystring parser but that is of course trivial, actually pretty
sure I got one somewhere in code files).
	2. pass parameter to xslt - BUT WAIT, how would I pass a
parameter to the xslt in this scenario? This is where I'm stumped.

Obviously the html page could have a script that creates objects for my
Xml dom and for my xslTemplate, xslProcessor but that's not necessarily
what I want to do, the why being somewhat explained in the next bit.
Although I don't think that it will be especially useful to do
clientside transforms for some few years yet (2 I bet) someday it will
be, on that day I just want to have an xml-stylesheet PI.
So what should one do in that situation, should it be an ugly hack with
the html generated from the transform having a script for doing further
transforms, with param passing?