Namespace declarations in the Stylsheet element

Hi,

I'm just learning XSLT, so forgive me if my question has an obvious answer.
I declared a namespace as part of a stylesheet (just as an experiment
really):

<xsl:stylesheet xsl:version="1.0"
                mia:version="0.0"
                xmlns:mia="http://www.fooBar.com/mia";

</doc>

The processor adds this namespace to my result document:

<doc xmlns:mia="http://www.fooBar.com/mia";>.../doc

I don't understand why it does this and I haven't been able to find anything
in the XSLT spec that explains it.

BTW I am using XT.