RE: read records from database in XSLT

You need a web server that can expose a database, so that the database
can be addressed and accessed through a URI. That is the integration of
the web server and the database server. Look there. If you can create
that integration with java servlets to do what you want, you might have
a solution. Sorry, I know very little about java servlets.

It should be obvious that you want the results of your database query
returned as XML. If that is not obvious to you yet, think ahead. What
are you going to do with the result of the document() function? Access
it through XSLT. And XSLT transforms what? XML data. BTW, the XML record
set result has to be a well-formed XML document, e.g., have exactly one
top level (root, document) element. That is what the MS SQL Server
query's "FOR XML AUTO" is doing: returning the record set as an XML
document.

Naturally, if this is data you care about and you are exposing it
through an HTTP server, you should already be thinking about security.
With my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, let me leave that as an
exercise for the reader.

Cheers,
Stuart