RE: Converting a string to small-caps?

I think you're on the right track, but...

You should consider changing the stylesheet so that it creates the
fewest number of <span> elements. There should be one <span> element to
hold a consecutive run of upper-case letters; and one <span> element to
hold a consecutive run of non-upper-case letters. Think about doing this
by searching for the first occurrence of an upper-case letter in the
source string, if it is not the first character then take the substring
up to that character.

Also, think about using <span class="uc"> and <span class="non-uc"> and
include a <style> block to style the classes span.uc and span.non-uc.
This seems more efficient that all the style attributes in the span
elements, and makes it easier for the user to customize the style (ah,
the blessed cascade of CSS!).

And don't forget to write to your favorite browser vendors and tell them
how much you value their conformance to the CSS2 specification. I am
quite serious. Without feedback, how do they know what we want?

Cheers,
Stuart