RE: XSLT Debuggers

Paul, the reason that XSLT debuggers are tied to specific vendors and
versions of XSLT processors is that a debugger requires debugging hooks
to be exposed for the debugger to be able to monitor progress, set
breakpoints, read values, etc. In some cases these are undocumented
features in the XSLT processor, but in most cases it requires a special
build of the XSLT processor from the vendor.

There is no standard for the debugging hooks, so every vendor probably
does it differently (or not at all). I've been evaluating ActiveState's
Visual XSLT which integrates into the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET. They
have support for both the .NET and Xalan processors. I heard that they
don't have support for MSXML because Microsoft declined to give them a
debug enabled version to work with.

So I think you are seeking a mythical beast: a debugger that can handle
any XSLT processor doesn't sound realistic.

BTW, I am really enjoying Visual XSLT. One feature I like is being able
to set breakpoints in the XSLT file _and_ in the XML source file.

Cheers,
Stuart