RE: Second try: Search and replace many strings that may not be present in target

Zack, when you've got a hammer in your hand, everything starts to look
like a nail. XSLT (the hammer) transforms XML data (true nails). You
seem to want to perform search-and-replace text processing (false nails)
as well.

XPath expressions provide some string manipulation facilities [1] which
might be what you are looking for, but that may not be a very efficient
way to go. Are you sure that XSLT is the best tool for your job?

I may have missed the point, it is a little hard to tell from the
description you provided. Consider providing a succinct, to-the-point
sample of the inputs and the desired output. Reduce the problem to its
essence and it may be more clear to me what you are after.

Cheers,
Stuart

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#section-String-Functions