RE: referencing a param inside a template

Yes, you're missing something called an attribute value
template (admittedly, the name is not intuitive).

First, I'm assuming that you have something like
this:

<xsl:param name="ID" />

at the top of your stylesheet and this is the param
that you are passing in. If so, change your syntax
to:

 <xsl:template match="program">
 		<input type='hidden' name='unique-id'
 value='{$ID}'></input>
 </xsl:template>

The braces {} tell the XSLT engine to evaluate the content
which in this case is the parameter named ID.

Sara