RE: NullPointerException

I've seen the NullPointerException as an (extremely unhelpful) error
message when running FOP end-to-end (straight from input XML through to
PDF) and there's either a parse error or a stylesheet runtime error. Rather
than report the error delivered by the parser or processor, FOP just bags it.

Norm, if this is what's happening to you, try running your transform
separately from FOP to generate plain XML. You could use a different XSLT
processor altogether to take advantage of its error messages.

I hope that helps,
Wendell