Re: NullPointerException

Norm:

Maybe I'm completely confused here but if your source has:

then some more text</paragraph>

what you want is as simple as

<xsl:template match="paragraph">
   <fo:block>
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="sub">
   <fo:inline baseline-shift="sub">
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </fo:inline>
</xsl:template>

with adjustments for your target language (e.g. you haven't actually said
you are targetting FO, I just guessed).

Now if your source has something more like

<paragraph>This is some text & l t ; sub & g t ; including some subscripted
text & l t ; /sub & g t ; and then some more text</paragraph>

(Note I've introduced extra spaces to work around broken email clients that
don't tolerate honest code.)

Then things are harder, since what you need is a string-processing
language, and XSLT isn't designed for that. (You'd have to walk on your
hands to do it.)

Which is your case?

Sorry to be a nuisance if I haven't understood (yet).

Regards,
Wendell