XSL is NOT a string processing language!

Hello,

First I'd like to say that I _know_ XSL is not a string processing language,
but I am facing a problem I wish I could solve inside XSL itself.

Here it is : writing style sheets to convert XML in LaTeX I have to make
some characters substitutions due to the "escape chars".
I'm heavily using David Carlisle string-replace template, it works fine but
because of its "recursiveness" I can't obtain sequential replacement :

If I want to replace 'a' by 'bX' and 'b' by 'aY' (which really happens with
\ and { for example), within the string 'bias' I will _never_ obtain
'aYibXs' which is what I want, but aYiaYXs or bXYibXs dependind on the order
of the calls to the string-replace template.

Due to the lack of "real" variables I can't find a way of doing this, I've
tried out many different ways but it's always endind with a "oh no, you
can't change the value of a variable and pass it to another template". One
solution could have been the use of global variables, but if you change
them, the change will be available only in the template where you made it
(kind of local global variable ;-)), no way to escape this circle.

Does anyone think it's possible to do such sequential substitution ?

Philippe