Re: ANSI encoding

Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> What's the <?xml version="1.0" encoding=""?> encoding="" string for
> ANSI?

ANSI, these days, is more often than not a generic name for any one of a dozen
or more Windows platform default encodings. These encodings have "code page"
numbers as well as a variety of more widely recognized aliases. It is one of
the more widely recognized aliases that you need to use. You might try
"windows-1252" if you're in the USA or (very-) Western Europe, and if you
haven't configured your OS for some other default region.

However, if I were you, I would get an editor that doesn't rely on the OS to
decide the encoding of the files it writes. Only UTF-8 and UTF-16 are
guaranteed to be supported by every XML parser, so it's risky to use any
others. There are plenty of editors that can save a file as UTF-8, or that
give you a choice. With such an editor, you wouldn't have to guess at the
encoding that was used.

   - Mike