Re: XSL is NOT a string processing language!

> Here it is : writing style sheets to convert XML in LaTeX I have to make
> some characters substitutions due to the "escape chars".
> I'm heavily using David Carlisle string-replace template, it works fine but
> because of its "recursiveness" I can't obtain sequential replacement :

> If I want to replace 'a' by 'bX' and 'b' by 'aY

If you are replacing strings by strings then this is easy enough, just
run the templates in a variable and then push the variable back in to do
the second replacement.

If you are replacing strings by mixed content nodes and strings then it
gets more entertaining but it is still usually possible in most cases to
do something.

Of course in the case of latex one always has the option of doing less
at the stylesheet level and more at the tex level up to the point of
using xmltex, in which it's _all_ done at the tex level, including
parsing the xml.

There was a time when I answered a lot more LaTeX questions
than XSL ones...

David