Re: Stuck on meta-stylesheet problem

> So far, so good, but after the second transformation,
> this tag appears this way in the HTML document:

Your second transformation is using the html output method.
In HTML link is declared empty so it doesn't have a /> or a </link>
it just has <link> same as <br> and other empty elements.

> and IE complained
If you send it to its XML parser it will complain as it is not well
formed XML but the HTML parser accepts <link>. as this is the only
correct form in HTML.

> I can see where that
> would permit an unclosed link tag in the final document,
This is not looseness of HTML it is strictnesss to a different syntax.

They will be parsed the same way by any XML parser so the XSLT engine
sees the same input.

> This time, no complaint from IE!

I suspect that whatever API you are using to pipe your transform into IE
is ending up passing it to IE's XML parser instead of its HTML
one, These are completely different beasties that just happen to live in
the same cage. Conversely when you save to a file and load into IE you
are going to its HTML parser.

David