Re: Does saxon:output do an HTTP POST? (Using XSLT as a Web Services bridge)

"Roger L. Costello" wrote:

> Can the SAXON:output element be used to send XML data to the Web
> service? In other words, does the SAXON:output element do an HTTP
> POST?  If so, we can use XSLT as a bridge between Web services...

I just did a test.  I created a Web service on my local machine which
consumes XML.  I created a stylesheet that did SAXON:output to that
service.  When I ran it SAXON gave me an error message,

"Failed to create output file http://localhost:8080/servlet/sample";

xalan also bombed.  It gave me an error:

I am very disappointed.  This means that it's possible to input from a
Web service (using document()), but it is not possible to output to a
Web service.  In my mind, I see this as a major inconsistency between
the input capability and the output capability.  Does anyone know of
what is planned for XSLT 2.0?  I believe that there will be a built-in
output element, correct?  Will it be able to do an HTTP POST to any
consumer of XML (such as a Web service)?  /Roger