Re: Does saxon:output do an HTTP POST? (Using XSLT as a Web Services bridge)

Hi Roger,

Roger L. Costello wrote:

>I am very disappointed.  This means that it's possible to input from a
>Web service (using document()), but it is not possible to output to a
>Web service.  In my mind, I see this as a major inconsistency between
>the input capability and the output capability.  Does anyone know of
>what is planned for XSLT 2.0?  I believe that there will be a built-in
>output element, correct?  Will it be able to do an HTTP POST to any
>consumer of XML (such as a Web service)?  /Roger

I guess this is one bit of what the REST debate over on xml-dev is about
- if we confine our use of Web Services to URL-type parameter lists then
we can use document() for queries or updates. But clearly that's not
what people use XSLT for - if it was, we'd all be asking for "text" as
the default value for xsl:output/@method, wouldn't we?

So let's hope we get an output option which is compatible with those Web
Services which require a POST rather than a mere GET.

Francis.