XSL-FO Java API

Does anyone on the list have experience with various XSL-FO packages
(Apache FOP, other commercial software) and their Java APIs?  I would
like to access an XSL-FO document via an API tailored specifically to
that format.  I'm thinking using DOM would be painful, as you'd have to
parse the tree to pull apart the document.  Ideally, there should be a
way to represent the FO document as a page, its attributes, and its content.

Can anyone recommend a good package?

Thanks,
Tim Meals

--
e-mail: tmeals@attbi.com

"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the
  right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."
	-- Johann Sebastian Bach